Recognition of a Foreign Academic Title
Why apply for recognition of a foreign academic degree
You can apply for the recognition of a foreign academic degree, awarded by a foreign State or legally accredited university, in order to get a first cycle (bachelor's) degree, a single cycle degree or a second cycle (master's) degree offered by the University of Florence (Law n. 148/2002 articles 2 and 3).
After assessing your academic career, the Committee responsible for the degree programme for which you are requesting recognition will decide:
- The full recognition of the degree you got abroad, with the subsequent issue of a decree by the University President
- The partial recognition of your academic studies. In this case, the Committee will provide the number of credits you will have to gain before obtaining the degree for which you seek recognition. If you apply for recognition of the single cycle degree in Medicine and Surgery, Dentistry and Dental Prosthesis, Primary Education Sciences, you will have to pass an admission test and rank among the winners before you can enrol.
If there are in place specific bilateral agreements or international conventions with the institution that issued the degree, the decree of recognition will be automatic.
In order to apply for a foreign degree recognition you have to submit the following documents:
- Application form, duly filled in, dated and signed. Please note that on the application form you have to specify the academic qualification for which you are asking the recognition at the University of Florence
- High school leaving certificate, translated in Italian, legalized by the Italian diplomatic mission in the Country where the certificate was awarded along with the so called dichiarazione di valore in loco issued by the same Italian diplomatic mission (original and one copy)
- University degree translated in Italian, legalized by the Italian diplomatic mission in the Country where the certificate was awarded along with the so called dichiarazione di valore in loco issued by the same Italian diplomatic mission (original and one copy)
- Transcript of records, translated in Italian and legalized as above (original and one copy)
- Official syllabus, signed and stamped by the foreign University which awarded the degree. The syllabus has to be translated in Italian and legalized as above
- Copy of a valid ID card (for EU citizens) or passport (for non EU citizens)
- Receipt of payment of the 150,00 EUR administration fee
Postal account n. 5504
Account name: Università degli Studi di Firenze – Tasse e Contributi - Servizio di tesoreria - 50121 FIRENZE – Piazza San Marco, 4
Alternatively, payment can be made through a bank transfer.
Account n.: 000041126939
Account name: Università degli Studi di Firenze
Bank details: Unicredit bank spa - via Vecchietti, 11 - 50123 Firenze
IBAN code: IT 88 A 02008 02837 000041126939
BIC/SWIFT code: UNCRITM1F86
Compulsory payment description for both payments: 'domanda riconoscimento titolo accademico estero'.If you withdraw your application you will not be entitled to a refund of any monies paid.
When and where to submit your application for degree recognition
You can submit your application for degree recognition directly to the Foreign Students Desk any time of the year. For appointment and further information please email: email@example.com
You can also send your application along with the required documents via certified email to firstname.lastname@example.org
In case of partial recognition of previous academic career, you can enrol in the relevant degree programme following the procedures below:
- If you are a non-EU citizen residing abroad you will have to pre-enrol at the Italian embassy or consulate in the Country you reside in, according to the procedures defined yearly by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research MIUR.
- If you are a EU citizen, wherever residing, or a non-EU citizen living in Italy according to Law n. 189/2002 article 26, you can submit your enrolment application directly to the Foreign Students Desk within 30 days from the date we send you the communication with decision of the Committee.
The decision of the Committee entitles you to enrol in the degree programme you applied for recognition, by the deadlines and with the procedures applicable to you.
If you do not enrol by the appropriate deadlines you will have to re-apply for recognition and your application will have to be re-examined by the committee. In order to enrol to a degree programme with 'numerus clausus' (restricted admission), you will have to pass the admission test and rank among the winners.
For any information and help on recognition of foreign professional qualifications please visit the CIMEA webpage.