Isu appuntamento via e-mail
Nel periodo di sospensione della didattica frontale per il contenimento del Coronavirus, i ricevimenti saranno effettuati in modalità telematica, seguendo le istruzioni riportate su MOODLE del corso, sempre previo appuntamento per e-mail
CURRICULUM PROF. ING. DARIO VANGI
University of Florence, Italy
Department of Industrial Engineering
Via Santa Marta, 3 – 50139 Florence
1963 date of birth
1988 graduated in Mechanical Engineering at Florence University
1993 PhD in Quality Engineering.
1995-2000 researcher at Florence University
2000-2013 associate professor in the field of machine design, member of the board of professors of PhD course in Mechanical Design.
scientific activity :
The research activity of Professor Vangi deals with several aspects among the typical subjects of machine design (vehicle dynamics, road safety and accident reconstruction, materials, reliability design, stress experimental analysis, non-destructive testing) producing both experimental and theoretical works;
Last fifteen years professor Vangi has been dealing with a research in the field of vehicle dynamics and safety, and road accident reconstruction methods. Specifically, his recent research focuses on methods for evaluation of energy loss during vehicle impact, fuzzy procedure to analyze car- pedestrian accidents and for evaluate the whiplash risk, human factor in road accidents.
In automotive field, Vangi has developed:
· systems for measurement of the torque to the wheel of racing motorcycle, with Ducati Corse,
· systems for monitoring the initiation and propagation of fatigue cracks of bodywork and mechanical components, with Fiat ("Panametrics Award" for the best application experience in the field of non-destructive testing with ultrasound; "AIAS Award" for the realization of an innovative product that has had applications in the automotive sector);
· algorithms for the functioning of the black boxes, with OctoTelematics,
· stress analysis in the desmodromic distribution on engine racing, with Ducati Corse,
· analysis of procedures for tightening of head stud of racing engines, with Ducati Corse,
· optimization of motorcycle frames, with Betamotor,
· development of diagnostic tools for the recognition of the level of attention of the driver, inside a project founded by Ministry of University and Research,
· computation and numerical verification of a counter fly wheel, with Betamotor,
· development of a software tool for the analysis of collisions between vehicles and pedestrian, with Lloyd Adriatico,
· experimental analysis of the fall and slide motion of motorcycle driver, with Santa Monica autodrome,
· development of a software for the analysis of the role of active safety systems ADAS in the pre collision phases, with ELASIS,
· analysis of human factor driving in highway tunnels, in the national project "TESEO " (Technical Efficiency and Safety Expert Operator),
· accident data collection in the ACEA project " iGLAD " (Initiative for the Global Harmonisation of Accident Data), with EVU (European association for the study and analysis of traffic accidents);
· Development of a Procedure for the definition of safety interventions (National Project Funded by the Province of Arezzo – 2008-2012),
· software "Pro Impact" for accident analysis and reconstruction,
· software "Deformation" for photogrammetric energy loss evaluation,
· software module for pedestrian accident reconstruction, inside PC Crash.
He wrote a book on the subject of accident reconstruction, published by Firenze University Press, and moreover instituted an editorial series on the road safety, editing a book of complementary subjects with several contributors and a book on accident investigation and data collection; he's now editing a books on passive safety systems.
Vangi is a coordinator of a post-graduatecourseon the subject of accident reconstruction and is coordinator of a master on legal engineering.
He coordinates the WG 4 “Road Accident reconstruction”" of UNI Italian unification agency. During such activity he directed the preparation of UNI 11294 regulation: " Qualification of road accident reconstructionists “ and UNI 11472 "Investigation on road accident - Methods of execution"
He is coordinator of scientific committee of Italian country group of EVU (European association for road accident analysis).
He is member of the word road association AIPCR.
He is referee for the international journals:
· Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology”, ASME;
· Experimental mechanics, SEM;
· Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, ASNT;
· Vehicle System Dynamics;
· Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit.
Professor Vangi is author of more than 110 papers.
Refereed Journal Publications
1. Vangi D., Virga A. “Evaluation of energy – driving styles for bus drivers” Proceedings of the I MECH E Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering, April 2003, vol. 217, no. 4, pp. 299-305
2. M. Sgalla, D. Vangi “UCRfr – Ultrasonic Critical-angle Refractometry for stress measurement” Non-Destructive Testing and Evaluation Vol. 19, n. 1-2, march-June 2003, pp. 67-77
3. M. Sgalla, D. Vangi “A device for measuring the velocity of ultrasonic waves: an application to stress analysis” Experimental Mechanics Vol. 44, n. 1, feb. 2004, pagg. 85 - 90
4. D. Vangi “Collision stage reconstruction in traffic accidents: sensitivity analysis” I MECH E Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering V. 219 n. 3, pp. 285-294, 2005
5. M. Mastandrea, D. Vangi: “Influence of braking force in low speed vehicle collisions” I MECH E Part D Journal of Automobile Engineering, V. 219 n. 2 pp. 151-164, 2005
6. D. Vangi, A. Virga “A practical application of ultrasonic thermal stress monitoring in continuous welded rails” Experimental Mechanics, vol. 47 n. 5 p.p. 617-623, Ottobre 2007
7. D. Vangi, A. Virga “Evaluation of vehicle braking deceleration in accident reconstruction” Vehicle System Dynamics, Volume 45, Issue 10 October 2007 , pages 895 – 910
8. D. Vangi, A. Virga, L. Pinchera, “Braking tests on bus with and without ABS” Collision Magazine, Vol. 3, Issue 2, 2008
9. D. Vangi “Energy loss in vehicle to vehicle oblique impact” Int. Journal of Impact engineering vol. 36, issue 3, 2009, pp. 512 – 521. ISSN 0734-743X
10. D. Vangi, A. Virga, “Ultrasonic monitoring of thermal stresses in CWR” Railway Transportation: Policies, Technology and Perspectives. 2009 Nova Science Publishers, Inc. ISBN 979-1-60692-863-9
11. D. Vangi “Simplified method for evaluating energy loss in vehicle collisions” Accident Analysis and Prevention vol. 41, issue 3, (2009) pagg. 633-641
12. D. Vangi “A fuzzy approach to reconstructing vehicle-pedestrian collisions” Vehicle system dynamics vol. 47, iss. 9 pag. 1115-1135, January 2009
13. S. Tellini , D. Vangi “Hole–drilling strain-gauge method: Residual stress measurement with plasticity effects” Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology . Transactions of the ASME, January 2010, Vol. 132/1 pp. 0110031- 0110037
14. D. Vangi , F. Begani “Performance of Triangle Method for Evaluating Energy Loss in Vehicle Collisions” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D, Journal of Automobile Engineering Vol. 226(3) pp. 338-347, March 2012
16. D. Vangi - A simplified model for analysis of post-impact motion of vehicles” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, Volume 227 Issue 6, June 2013 pp. 39 - 48
17. D. Vangi, F. Begani - Energy loss in vehicle collisions from permanent deformation: an extension of the “Triangle Method” Vehicle System Dynamic, Volume 51, Issue 6, 2013, pages 857-876
18. D. Vangi, "Impact Severity Assessment in vehicle accidents" submitted to Int. J. of Impact engineering
Refereed Conference Publications
1. D. Vangi M. Mastandrea, “Fuzzy approach for Accident Reconstruction” XV EVU int. conference, 2006 Dresden
2. D. Vangi, F. Begani, “Fuzzy logic in car crash accidents” XVI EVU int. conference, 2007 Kracov (PL)
3. P. Pascolo, D. Vangi, “Human cervical spine behaviour in the rear-end impact: influence of guard level” 1° National Congressof Bioengineering, Pisa, 3-5 luglio 2008
4. D. Vangi, F. Begani – “The “Triangle Method” for evaluation of energy loss in vehicle collisions” IXX EVU int. conference, 2010 Prague
5. V. Rivano, D. Vangi, P. Bartolini, M Coddi – “Braking performance of heavy goods vehicles” IXX EVU int. conference, p.p. 179-187, 2010 Prague
6. Vangi, D. Begani F.: Whiplash Injury Risk Evaluation from Black Box Data. Atti XX EVU int. conference, Gratz, 2011
7. Ciceri, D. Vangi, A. Virga “Hazard detection in driving context and braking reaction time” EVU MEETING 17 – 19 October 2013 – Florence/Italy
8. D. Vangi, A. Virga Assessment of low speed rear end crash tests for the study of whiplash in real driving” EVU MEETING 17 – 19 October 2013 – Florence/Italy
9. D. Vangi, A. Virga, J. Zaffelli “ Experimental analysis of post-accident motion of motorcyclists” EVU MEETING 17 – 19 October 2013 – Florence/Italy
10. D. Vangi, A. Virga, F. Begani, C. Cialdai “ Motorcycle to car collisions: evaluation of energy loss and relative impact velocity” EVU MEETING 17 – 19 October 2013 – Florence/Italy
11. D. Vangi, A. Virga, F. Begani, C. Cialdai “Motorcycles slide tests analysis” EVU MEETING 17 – 19 October 2013 – Florence/Italy
12. L. Domenchini, F. La Torre, D, Vangi, V. Branzi, M. Meocci, A. Virga Driving simulator analysis of drivers’ behaviour in tunnels with obstacles. EVU MEETING 17 – 19 October 2013 – Florence/Italy
13. L. Domenchini, F. La Torre, D, Vangi, V. Branzi, M. Meocci, A. Virga Driving simulator analysis of drivers’ behaviour in tunnels with obstacles. Convegno 4th International Conference on Road Safety and Simulation RSS 2013
Chapters in books
1. D. Vangi, A. Virga, “Ultrasonic monitoring of thermal stresses in CWR” Railway Transportation: Policies, Technology and Perspectives. 2009 Nova Science Publishers, Inc. ISBN 979-1-60692-863-9
2. D. Vangi “ Sensibilità alle incertezze sui dati iniziali nella ricostruzione degli incidenti stradali” - Il colpo di frusta cervicale, curato da Pascolo P. B., CISM -International Centre for Mechanical Sciences, ed. New Magazine, 2003, ISBN 8880410539
3. D. Vangi, V. Rivano, Il tempo di reazione del conducente: cause di variabilità in: “Ricostruzione della dinamica degli incidenti stradali – L’ambito giuridico, la strada, il conducente e il veicolo” - Autori vari - a cura di D. Vangi e V. Rivano - Firenze University Press, 2010, ISBN 9788884532091
1. D. Vangi “Road accident reconstruction – Principles and Applications” Firenze University Press, 2008 , pagg. 380, ISBN 978-88-8453-783-6
2. “Road accident reconstruction – The legal framework, the road, the driver and the vehicle” - by various authors- Edited by di D. Vangi - Firenze University Press, 2010, ISBN 9788884532091
Le lezioni, nel periodo di sospensione delle lezioni frontali per il contenimento del Coronavirus, saranno erogate, negli orari come da calendario, in modalità telematica, seguendo le istruzioni su MOODLE del corso. In ogni caso, le lezioni verranno registrate e successivamente rese disponibili su MOODLE