Orario di ricevimento: contattare via mail la docente per fissare un ricevimento in presenza oppure online.
Office hour: send an e-mail to fix an appointment in person or online.
Valentina Tocchioni is Assistant Professor in Social Statistics at the University of Florence since 2019. From 2016 to 2019 she has been a Post-doctoral researcher at the University of Florence and a visiting fellow at Centre for Population Change/ Department of Social Sciences, University of Southampton. She completed her PhD in Applied Statistics at the University of Florence in 2016.
Ricercatrice in Statistica Sociale all’Università degli Studi di Firenze dal 2019. Dopo aver completato il dottorato di ricerca in Statistica Applicata nel 2016, dal 2016 al 2019 è stata assegnista di ricerca presso all’Università degli Studi di Firenze e visiting fellow al Centre for Population Change, University of Southampton (UK).
Dal 2019 insegna Statistica Sociale a studenti di corsi di laurea triennale (corso di laurea in Scienze Umanistiche per la Comunicazione; corso di laurea in Statistica; corso di laurea in SECI) e di laurea magistrale (corso di laurea magistrale in Design of Sustainable Tourism Systems).
La sua attività di ricerca - portata avanti con pubblicazioni in riviste scientifiche e con articoli divulgativi, e in relazioni a convegni nazionali e internazionali - si concentra sull’interrelazione fra incertezza lavorativa/abitativa e dinamiche familiari; donne e uomini senza figli; comportamento sessuale dei giovani; caratteristiche socio-demografiche e performance occupazionali dei laureati e dei dottori di ricerca.
Articoli in riviste scientifiche (peer-reviewed):
Tocchioni, V. Petrucci, A. (2021). Italian PhD students at the borders: The relationship between family background and international mobility. Genus 77.
Tocchioni, V., Berrington, A., Vignoli, D., Vitali, A. (2021). Housing uncertainty and the transition to parenthood among Britain’s “Generation Rent”. Demography 58(5): 1843-1865.
Vignoli, D., Tocchioni, V., Mattei, A. (2020). The impact of job uncertainty on first-birth postponement. Advances in Life course Research 45: 100308.
Tocchioni, V., Cangi, C., Vignoli, D. (2019). Incertezza economica e formazione dell’unione in Italia: un’analisi causale.Rivista Italiana di Economia, Demografia e Statistica LXXIII (4): 137-148.
Minello, A., Tocchioni, V. (2018). Tra lavoro e famiglia: analisi della relazione tra tempo dedicato al lavoro e prima unione in Italia. Rivista Italiana di Economia, Demografia e Statistica LXXII: 29-40.
Tocchioni, V., Seghieri, C., De Santis, G., Nuti, S. (2018). Socio-demographic determinants of women’s satisfaction with prenatal and delivery care services in Italy. International Journal for Quality in Health Care 30(8): 594-601.
Vignoli, D., Matysiak, A., Styrc, M., Tocchioni, V. (2018). The positive impact of women’s employment on divorce: Context, selection, or anticipation? Demographic Research 38(37): 1059-1110.
Tocchioni, V. (2018). Exploring the childless universe: Profiles of men and women without children in Italy. Demographic Research 38(19): 451-470.
Vignoli, D., Tocchioni, V., Salvini, S. (2016). Uncertain Lives: Insights into the Role of Job Precariousness in Union Formation in Italy. Demographic Research 35(10): 253-282.
Mynarska, M., Matysiak, A., Rybińska, A., Tocchioni, V., Vignoli, D. (2015). Paths into childlessness over the life course. Advances in Life Course Research 25: 35-48.
Tocchioni, V. (2015). Philippe Blanchard, Felix Bühlmann, Jacques-Antoine Gauthier (eds): Advances in Sequence Analysis: Theory, Method, Applications. Series Life Course Research and Social Policies, European Journal of Population 31(1): 103-105.
I miei interessi di ricerca riguardano caratteristiche socio-demografiche e differenze di genere degli studenti universitari e dottori di ricerca; donne e uomini senza figli; dinamiche familiari e la loro interrelazione con la condizione occupazionale e le condizioni abitative; gravidanza e parto; comportamento sessuale dei giovani.
Sept. 21-current Assistant professor in Social Statistics (on Athenaeum funds)
Department in Statistics, Computer Sciences, Applications "Giuseppe Parenti", University of Florence
Jan. 2022 - Jan. 2031 (validity) Italian national Scientific Qualification as Associate Professor in Demography and Social Statistics (13/D3)
CURRRENT AREA OF RESEARCH
Higher education; PhDs’ career and its interrelationship with their socio-demographic characteristics; causal inference in socialapplications; family dynamics and its interrelationships with employment status and housing condition; childlessness; sexual behaviours of youth
Dec. 12 – Feb. 16 Ph.D. in Applied Statistics (with scholarship), University of Florence
Dissertation title: HAVING CHILDREN IN ITALY. THEIR EFFECTS ON UNION STABILITY AND A FOCUS ON THE BIRTH PATH IN TUSCANY
PAST ACADEMIC POSITIONS
Feb. 19-Aug. 21 Assistant professor in Social Statistics (on ERC funds)
Apr. 16 – Feb. 19 Post-doc fellow
Jun. 17 – Dec. 17
Sept. 18 – Jan. 19 Visiting fellow. University of Southampton, Centre for Population Change/ Department of Social Sciences.
Oct. 16 (1 week) Visiting grant. University of Southampton, Southampton Statistical Sciences Research Institute. Financed by InGRID project (www.inclusivegrowth.be).
Jan. 15 – Jul. 15 Visitingstudent. European University Institute, Department of Political and Social Sciences. Liason professors: Prof. Hans-Peter Blossfeld, Prof. Fabrizio Bernardi
GRANT AND AWARD
2016 InGRID project (www.inclusivegrowth.be). Visiting grant to the Southampton Statistical Sciences Research Institute, University of Southampton.
2016 Demographic Research Editor’s Choice Award for the paper:
Daniele Vignoli, Valentina Tocchioni, Silvana Salvini (2016). Uncertain lives: Insights into the role of job precariousness in unionformation in Italy. Demographic Research, 35: 253-282
Courses for PhD students Social Demography: models and applications (3 hours), PhD program in Mathematics,Informatics, Statistics, University of Florence (2021-current)
Event-history analysis (6 hours, in English), PhD program in Development economics and local systems, University of Florence (2019-current)
Courses in Master programs (University of Florence) Social Statistics for Tourism (48-72h) (2019-current)
Courses in Bachelor programs (University of Florence) Social Statistics (18h-48h) (2018-current, in different courses)
Courses in Bachelor programs (Scuola Superiore di Scienze dell’educazione “San Giovanni Bosco”, Istituto Universitario aggregato alla FSE dell’Università Pontificia Salesiana) Social Statistics (40h) (2020)
SCIENTIFIC ASSOCIATION (PAST ROLES AND MEMBERSHIP)
2019-2020 Member of the Program Committee of SIS 2020 General Meeting
2016-2017 Member of the Local Organizing Committee of the Population Days 2017, 8-10 February 2017
2015- Member of the Tuscan Universities Research Centre – Camilo Dagum on Advanced Statistics for the Equitable and Sustainable Development
2015-2016 Member of the Steering Committee of the young-SIS (youth section of SIS)
Membership: AISP (Associazione Italiana di Studi sulla Popolazione); SIS (Società Italiana di Statistica); EAPS (European Association of Population Studies); SIEDS (Società Italiana di Economia, Demografia, Statistica)
2019-current GDR (The Great Demographic Recession) project, funded by the Italian Ministry of Education and University, Prot. 2017W5B55Y [Principal investigator: Prof. Daniele Vignoli].
2017-current EU-FER(Economic Uncertainty and Fertility in Europe) project, funded by the European Research Council, Consolidator grant agreement n. 725961 [Principal investigator: Prof. Daniele Vignoli].
2016-current FAMI (Fondo Asilo Migrazione e Integrazione) project, funded by the Italian Ministry of the Interior.
2016-2017 FaBe (Families and Well-being in Italy: Dynamics and Relationships) project, funded by the University of Florence [Principal investigator: Prof. Daniele Vignoli].
2011-2013 FamChIP (Family Change in Italy and Poland) project, funded by the Polish Ministry of Science and Tertiary Education [Project coordinator: Prof. Irena E. Kotowska].
REFEREE FOR JOURNALS
Demography; European Sociological Review; Demographic Research; Advances in Life Course Research; Genus; International Journal for Quality in Health Care; Journal of Comparative Family Studies; Bulletin of Economic Research; Journal of Research in Gender Studies; RIEDS; Education Sciences
MEETING “TRENTO SCHOOL OF APPLIED QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH”, organized by the Department of Sociology and Social Research, University of Trento, 9-11 October 2019, Trento (IT)
• Women’s employment and divorce in a comparative perspective. How to account for selection and anticipation mechanism using multi-process models.
FLOPS MINISYMPOSIUM ON GENDER, WORK AND FAMILY, European University Institute,16 April 2019, Florence (IT)
• Paths into childlessness over the life course: country-specific or universal?
STATALK “NEW CHALLENGES IN DEMOGRAPHIC RESEARCH”, 7 February 2017, Florence (IT)
• Causal inference in population studies
CONVEGNO ISTAT “LA SOCIETÀ ITALIANA E LE GRANDI CRISI ECONOMICHE 1929-2016”, 26 November 2016, Rome (IT)
• Matrimonio o convivenza? Precarietà lavorativa e formazione dell’unione in Italia
SEMINAR, UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON, 18 OTTOBRE 2016, SOUTHAMPTON (UK)
• The Impact of Women’s Employment on Divorce: Real Effect, Selection, or Anticipation?
19TH CONFERENCE OF THE EUROPEAN DIVORCE RESEARCH NETWORK, 13-15 OTTOBRE 2021, ONLINE
• Chair of the session: Pre- and Post- Divorce Family Arrangements
2021 RETHINKING CLUSTERS WORKSHOP, 22-23 SEPTEMBER 2021, ONLINE
• Overeducation of PhDs in Italy: An analysis by gender (con Alessandra Petrucci)
50TH SCIENTIFIC MEETING OF THE ITALIAN STATISTICAL SOCIETY, 22-25 JUNE 2021, PISA
• Employment Uncertainty and Fertility in Italy: The Role of Union Formation (con Giammarco Alderotti e Alessandra De Rose)
• Determinants of union dissolution in Italy: Do children matter? (con Daniele Vignoli, Eleonora Meli and Bruno Arpino)
II SCUOLA DEMOCRATICA “REINVENTING EDUCATION”, 2-5 JUNE 2021, ONLINE.
• Short-term and long-term mobility of researchers abroad Italy: an analysis by gender (con Alessandra Petrucci e Alessandra Minello)
POPULATION ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA 2021 ANNUAL MEETING, 5-8 MAY 2021, ONLINE
• Debut and Substance Use: Evidence from a Study on University Students (con Fausta Ongaro)
ASA 2021 STATISTICS AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS FOR POLICY EVALUATION, 19 FEBRUARY-12 MARCH 2021, ONLINE
RIUNIONE INTERMEDIA SIS SMART STATISTICS FOR SMART APPLICATIONS, 19-21 June 2019, Milan (IT)
• Employment and fertility in couples: whose employment uncertainty matter most? (with Daniele Vignoli, Alessandra Mattei, Bruno Arpino)
49TH SCIENTIFIC MEETING OF THE ITALIAN STATISTICAL SOCIETY, 20-22 June 2018, Palermo (IT)
• The Transition to Motherhood among British Young Women: Does housing tenure play a role? (with Ann Berrington, Daniele Vignoli and Agnese Vitali)
EUROPEAN POPULATION CONFERENCE 2018, 6-9 June 2018, Bruxelles (Belgium)
• The Transition to Parenthood Among Britain’s “Generation Rent”: Examining the Changing Role of Housing Tenure (with Ann Berrington, Daniele Vignoli and Agnese Vitali)
INTERNATIONAL POPULATION CONFERENCE, 29 October-4 November 2017, Cape Town (South Africa)
• First birth losses and gains under economic uncertainty in Italy (with Daniele Vignoli and Alessandra Mattei)
• The Transition to Parenthood Among Britain’s “Generation Rent”: Examining the changing role of housing tenure (with Ann Berrington, Daniele Vignoli and Agnese Vitali)
POP DAYS, 8-10 February 2017, Florence (IT)
POPULATION ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA 2015 ANNUAL MEETING, 30 April -1 May 2015, San Diego (US)
• Life-course trajectories of childless women: country-specific or universal? (with Monika Mynarska, Anna Matysiak, Anna Rybińska and Daniele Vignoli)
POP DAYS, 4-6 February 2015, Palermo (IT)
• Women’s satisfaction towards the birth path in Tuscany (with Chiara Seghieri and Gustavo De Santis)
• Exploring the childless universe: profiles and fertility intentions of men and women without children in Italy
EUROPEAN POPULATION CONFERENCE 2014, 25-28 June 2014, Budapest (Hungary)
• Uncertain Lives: Insights into the Role of Job Precariousness on Family Formation Practices in Italy (with Daniele Vignoli and Silvana Salvini)
• Paths into childlessness: country-specific or universal? (with Monika Mynarska, Anna Matysiak, Anna Rybińska and Daniele Vignoli)
POPULATION ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA 2014 ANNUAL MEETING, 1-3 May 2014, Boston (US)
• Uncertain Lives: Insights into the Role of Job Precariousness on Family Formation Practices in Italy (con Daniele Vignoli and Silvana Salvini)
POPULATION ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA 2013 ANNUAL MEETING, ANNUAL MEETING, 11-13 April 2013, New Orleans (US)
• Diverse paths into childlessness over the life course (with Monika Mynarska, Anna Matysiak, Anna Rybińska and Daniele Vignoli)
POP DAYS, 6-8 February 2013, Bressanone (IT)
• Paths into childlessness over the life course. Results of the sequence analysis for Italy and Poland (with Monika Mynarska, Anna Matysiak, Anna Rybińska and Daniele Vignoli)
Collaborator of online specialized journals: NEODEMOS.it (www.neodemos.info), Ingenere (www.ingenere.it)
Experience in presenting research findings to the mass-media and the wider public, for example with interviews to Radio24
My research interests focus on causal inference in social applications; childlessness; family dynamics and its interrelationships with employment status and housing condition; pregnancy and childbirth; sexual behavior of youth; higher education.