L.Scesi, M.Papini & P.Gattinoni (2006) – Geologia applicata. Il rilevamento geologico-tecnico. Volume 1. II Edizione. Casa Editrice Ambrosiana.
Slides lectures (available on e-learning platform Moodle Unifi)
The objectives of the class are to: (i) achieve a basic knowledge on the structure of the Earth, minerals, rocks, depositional environments, tectonics, stratigraphy, geomorphology; (ii) achieve capability of reading and interpreting topographic and geologic maps and understand roles and criteria for the construction of geological sections.
Furthermore the class intends to provide the capability of using an appropriate terminology and concepts in order to:
- understand geological and geomorphological problems applied to civil and environmental engineering;
- achieve the capability of understanding and discussing with specialists of the discipline;
- have capability of achieving further knowledge and updates in the perspective of the continuation of the study program.
Lectures. Practical exercises on interpretation of topographical maps and on stratimetry
Type of Assessment
Written test. The test aims to verify, by the mean of theoretical questions and practical exercises on topographic maps and stratimetry:
- acquisition of the knowledge covered during the class;
- capability of using in an appropriate manner the terminology of the discipline and the implications to civil and environmental engineering;
- understanding and capability of applying the rules and criteria for the construction of geological sections.
Principles of Geology. Igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks. Stratigraphy. Tectonics: faults and folds. Geological survey. Geological maps and cross-sections.
Hillslope processes. Hydrogeology. Aquifers. Groundwater movement.
Geomorphology. Main forms of earth surface (structural, glacial, coastal, fluvial, eolic, and carsic forms). Interpretation of topographic maps.