Critical literature for the reports that students will have to agree with the teachers:
L. Febvre, Martin Lutero, trad. it., Laterza, 1974 (ed. or. Martin Luther, un destin, 1928);
C. Hill, Vita di Cromwell, trad. it. Laterza, 1974 (ed. or. God's Englishman: Oliver Cromwell and the English Revolution, 1972);
N. Zemon Davis, Il ritorno di Martin Guerre. Un caso di doppia identità nella Francia del Cinquecento, postfazione di C. Ginzburg, trad. it. Einaudi, 1984;
Ead., Donne ai margini: tre vite del XVII secolo, Laterza, 1996;
O. Niccoli, Storie di ogni giorno in una città del Seicento, Laterza, 2000;
P.Giovio, Elogi degli uomini illustri, trad. it. a cura di F. Minonzio, Einaudi, 2006;
S. Loriga, La piccola x. Dalla biografia alla storia, Sellerio 2012;
M. Barbagli, Storia di Caterina che per ott'anni vestì abiti da uomo, Il Mulino, 2014;
O. Chlevniuk, Stalin. Biografia di un dittatore, Mondadori, 2016.
M.P. Casalena, Eroi in bilico: il Risorgimento nei dizionari biografici del Novecento, Carocci, 2018;
A. Spagnoletti, Filippo II, Roma, Salerno Editrice, 2018;
S. Bottoni, Orbán: un despota in Europa, Salerno Editrice, 2019.
R. Gordon, Primo Levi: le virtù dell'uomo normale, Carocci, 2001.
T. Judt, Novecento. Il secolo degli intellettuali e della politica. Laterza, 2012.
V. Galimi, A. Gori, Intellectuals in the Latin Space in the era of Fascism. Crossing borders, Routledge, 2020.
L. Marrocu, Orwell. La solitudine di uno scrittore. Della Porta, 2009.
G. Turi, Giovanni Gentile. Una biografia. Giunti, 1995.
B. Henri-Lévy, Le siècle de Sartre, Grasset, 2000.
J.F. Sirinelli, Deux intellectuels dans le siècle. Sartre et Aron, Fayard, 2014.
C. Panizza, Nicola Chiaromonte. Una biografia, Donzelli, 2017.
- to improve the knowledge on Modern and Contemporary history
- to encourage the reflexion about: the evolution of the historian's work; the changes of topics and concepts of historiography; the evolution of shapes and languages of the historical. communication; the transformations of the historians' profession (from the XVIth century to the contemporary age).
- to encourage the critical analysys on the origin of some key-aspects of "making history" in the present
An advanced knowledge of the main characters of political, social and cultural European history from the 16th century to the contemporary age.
Seminars, publication of papers and discussion through the Moodle platform.
The Laboratory will be held by 4 professors (Stefano Bottoni, Valeria Galimi, Igor Melani, Monica Pacini). External contributions will be part of the laboratory's activity. Mandatory inscription (at the beginning of the course) and course attendance.
Type of Assessment
The examination will be written, also for students not attending class or coming from foreign countries in Erasmus or other kinds of exchange programs, following these rules:
1) Students will write a paper concerning one of the subjects dealt in the laboratory seminar, exposing its main topics and integrating their work on the basis of one or two additional readings (books or articles). The paper will be discussed in class and published in the platform Moodle of the laboratory which will allow the prosecution of the discussion;
2) The paper will not be less than 12 characters, not exceeding 24 characters, spaces included;
3) The paper will be evaluated considering: consistence with the chosen subject, understanding of its main topics, order and clarity of the exposition, property of language.
Inside the framework of the laboratory's educational goals, its topic for the academic year 2019-2020 will be the relationship between biography and history history from the 16th to the 21st century. We will look at biography as a historiographic genre and at theoretical debates related to the relationship between the individual and history (causality, responsibility, forms of knowledge, networks of relationships, public use, subjectivity). Particular attention will be paid to to the transformation of historical biography over time in relation to some specific disciplinary fields: political history, intellectual history and gender history.