The University of Florence carries out academic recognition of foreign PhD degrees.
If, however, the recognition is sought for non-academic purposes (access to public competitions, social security purposes, redemption of study period etc.) the recognition will remain the province of other state administrations.
Visit CIMEA (Center for Information on Academic Mobility and Equivalencies) for more information regarding various foreign degree recognition practices for non-academic reasons.
Recognition gives the degree earned abroad the same legal value as the corresponding Italian degree and requires detailed verification of the correspondence in level and content between the foreign degree and the Italian degree. Specifically, the foreign degree must have the following characteristics:
- be an official third-cycle doctoral degree of the relevant foreign system, issued by an official institution of the foreign system;
- confer the same academic rights in the relevant foreign system;
- present the same nature and disciplinary elements as the Italian degree in terms of duration, nature of research and method of obtaining it;
In addition, there must be a Ph.D. degree in the same field with which the foreign degree can be compared, both in type and subject area.
- Legislative Decree March 30, 2021, no.165 art. 38 (link to site Normattiva)
- Recognition of doctoral degree for non-academic purposes (link to the CIMEA website)
- Guidelines for Academic Recognition of Foreign Doctoral Degrees in Italy, issued by CIMEA (CIMEA Guidelines - pdf)
Applications for recognition of a doctoral degree earned abroad can be submitted all year round.
The procedure involves detailed verification of the correspondence of level and content between foreign degree and Italian degree and has three stages:
Preassessment - preliminary to submission of formal application for recognition
Those interested in having their doctoral degree earned abroad recognised should follow the steps below:
- Fill out the Foreign Doctoral Title Pre-evaluation Request (pdf) addressed to the Rector's Delegate for Doctoral Studies, expressly indicating the Doctoral programme offered by the University of Florence deemed comparable in type and subject area with the foreign one, consulting the PhD courses page
- Send the request to prevalutazionephd(AT)unifi.it, attaching the following documentation:
- foreign doctoral degree;
- Italian second-cycle degree that allowed access to the foreign doctoral course. In the case of a foreign degree copy of the first- and second-level degrees and a full transcript of records with marks
- declaration/certificate issued by the foreign institution, stating the details, duration and activities of the doctorate carried out to obtain the doctoral degree. Alternatively, for EU countries, provided it carries the same information, Diploma Supplement issued by the foreign institution;
- abstract of the doctoral dissertation (in Italian or English)
The successful outcome of the pre-evaluation allows the start of the evaluation procedure for the recognition of the title.
Evaluation - following formal application for recognition addressed to the Rector in case of positive preassessment
In case of successful pre-evaluation, those interested in having their doctoral degree earned abroad recognised should follow the steps below. Submit an application for recognition to the Rector (pdf) to: dottorato(AT)pec.unifi.it, with "Foreign Doctorate Recognition Request" in the subject line, with the following documentation:
- declaration/certificate (transcript of records) issued by the foreign institution, stating the details, duration and activities performed to obtain the doctoral degree. Alternatively, for EU countries and provided it carries the same information, Diploma Supplement in English on the letterhead of the foreign institution with the signature and stamp of the foreign institution;
- doctoral dissertation in electronic format in the original language with the indication of the web address of the repository of the institution or library where it is stored and searchable
- Italian second-cycle degree that allowed access to the foreign doctoral course, or foreign second-cycle degree with a declaration of value issued by the Italian Diplomatic Consular Representation competent for the territory or, alternatively, certificate of comparability and certificate of verification issued by the Italian ENIC-NARIC center - CIMEA (link to CIMEA website). For degrees earned in an EU country, the Diploma Supplement is sufficient;
- copy of foreign doctoral degree;
- declaration of value issued by the Italian Diplomatic Consular Representation competent for the territory from which it is expressly stated: the minimum legal duration of the doctoral course attended as provided for by the foreign university system (to be recognised, this duration must not be less than the minimum duration of three years as per the Italian regulations on doctoral degrees) and the legal nature of the University with evidence of the ability to issue valid degrees in its national territory, alternatively certificates of comparability and verification issued by the Italian ENIC-NARIC center - CIMEA (link to CIMEA website);
- Italian translation of the required documents if they are not written in English (the thesis is also accepted in French or Spanish);
- declaration in lieu of an affidavit regarding the conformity of the submitted documents to the original;
- copy of a valid identity document;
- receipt for the payment of € 500.00 (the payment must be made according to the instructions shown on the page IRIS Tuscany Network | Select: 1. University of Florence - 2. 50001 Amministrazione Centrale - 3. amount: 500.00 euros - 4. reason for payment: recognition foreign PhD title)
All documentation must be attached in pdf format.
The reimbursement of the admin fee is not foreseen under any circumstances.
The evaluation includes verification by the PhD Office of the correctness and completeness of the documentation submitted, as well as payment of the admin fee.
The scientific-academic evaluation of the foreign training and research carried out and the manner of its delivery, are carried out by the Doctoral Course Teaching Staff Board.
The Teaching Staff Board may express a positive or negative opinion concerning the academic recognition of the foreign degree, ruling on the matter.
Outcome and deadlines for the conclusion of the proceedings recognition or denial of foreign doctoral degree
The request for foreign title evaluation may conclude either with:
- The recognition of the foreign doctoral degree, or
- the denial of recognition of the foreign doctoral degree in the case of "substantial difference" from the corresponding Italian degree
Recognition of the foreign doctoral degree is decided by Rectoral Decree, and is issued complete with stamp duty.
The deadline for completion of the proceedings is 90 days starting from sending the formal request to the Rector.
In case of requests to supplement the documentation, the deadline is interrupted and restarts from receipt of said documents.