Skip navigation links
Open menu
 StudentsExchange Students

Exchange Students within Cooperation Agreements

social share Facebook logo Twitter logo



Cultural and scientific collaboration agreements are agreements made between the University of Florence and foreign universities and provide for the mutual exchange of students, researchers and professors. Read more. See the list of international agreements.



Students enrolled at foreign universities that have cultural collaboration agreements involving student exchanges with the University of Florence may enroll in individual courses offered by the study programs. See the page Single subjects.
Students in mobility, enrolled at their own university, are exempt from paying tuition fees at the host university on a reciprocal basis.

Exchange duration and selection process

There is no specific deadline for requesting the acceptance letter to participate in the exchange. The duration of the study period is agreed between the student and the coordinating professor of the agreement at the University of Florence and must be specified in the letter of acceptance.

Students enrolled in a foreign university that has an agreement with the University of Florence must follow at their home university the selection procedure for the agreement.

If successful, the student contacts, possibly through the international relations office of his or her university, the professor coordinating the agreement at the University of Florence to request the letter of acceptance, which must necessarily indicate the duration of the mobility.

How and where to apply

Students must register on the Servizi online (SOL) di Ateneo portal and thereafter must, within the terms of the agreement between the universities, email the International desk, attaching the following documents:

  • letter of acceptance from the University professor in charge of the agreement, indicating the period of study.
  • copy of passport with entry visa for "study" (for non-EU citizens) or copy of valid ID (in case of EU citizens).
  • for non-EU citizens, copy of valid residence permit or application for residence permit accompanied by copy of passport with specific non-tourist entry visa. After receiving the acceptance letter, non-EU students must apply for a study visa on Universitaly portal, or at the Italian Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. Within 8 working days of arrival in Italy, students must apply for a  study residence permit .

After enrollment

After completing the registration process, students receive their student number (user id, matricola). With the user id and the password, chosen at the time of registration, students will be able to access the University’s online servicesMore information (in Italian).

Academic calendar and examinations

Information on the academic calendar can be found on each School's website. Exchange students take the exams in the same manner as students enrolled in the study programs.

Modifications in course selection

Any changes in the choice of courses must be must agreed with the University professor responsible for the agreement and promptly communicated to the International Desk indicating the name and code of the course to be added or deleted.

Knowledge of the Italian language

Exchange students can take advantage of a free Italian language course from the University Language Center (CLA). For registration see the CLA website.

Services and opportunities

Exchange students can take advantage of the services and opportunities offered by the University.

At the end of the exchange period

At the end of the mobility period at the University of Florence, exchange students must send an emal to the International Desk - internationaldesk(AT) - with the list of all exams taken and the date of the exam to be properly registered. Students must provide the office with a valid university email address to which the transcript of records will be sent.