Skip navigation links
Open menu
 StudentsRecognition of Foreign Titles

Recognition of a Foreign Academic Title

social shareFacebook logo Twitter logo

Applying for recognition of a foreign academic degree

You can apply for the recognition of a foreign academic degree, awarded by a foreign State or legally accredited university, in order to obtain credits or equivalent titles to a first cycle (bachelor's) degree, a single cycle degree or a second cycle (master's) degree offered by the University of Florence (Law n. 148/2002 articles 2 and 3).

The University of Florence can undertake this procedure for the sole purposes of access and enrolment in courses offered by the University itself.

Visit CIMEA website for information concerning the access to national competitions or professional qualifications.

Required documents

The request for recognition (form RE_01 is available at the page modulistica) can be submitted to the International desk or sent by certified e-mail to didattica(AT), indicating in the subject line: application for recognition of foreign qualification. The application must be submitted according to the following deadlines:

  • from 1 July 2019 to 31 July 2019 for all programmes with restricted access
  • from 9 September 2019 to 28 November 2019 for all programmes with unrestricted access; after 29 November 2019 and up to 24 February 2020these submissions only will be accepted upon payment of a late fee of € 100

Applicants must indicate the study programme at the University of Florence for which they require the recognition of equivalence. Required documents:

  • Copy of a valid ID card (for EU citizens) or passport (for non-EU citizens)
  • Receipt of payment of the 150,00 EUR administration fee (see Manifesto degli studi, sezione 11.1, nota 14)
  • High school leaving certificate
  • Higher education academic title
  • Transcript of academic records
  • Description of the courses attended and passed

All the documents must be submitted in original and a copy, legalized and translated in Italian or in English.
The High school leaving certificate and the Higher education academic title must be provided with the declaration of value (“dichiarazione di valore in loco”) issued by the Italian Embassy/Consulate in the Country where the title was awarded.

Total or partial recognition of the academic title

After assessing your academic career, the Committee responsible for the degree programme for which you are requesting recognition will decide:

  • a) The full recognition of the degree you obtained abroad, with the subsequent issue of a decree by the University President
  • b) The partial recognition of your academic studies. In this case, the Committee will provide the number of credits you will have to gain before obtaining the degree for which you seek recognition. In case of partial recognition of a previous academic career, you can enrol in the relevant degree programme following the procedures below:
    • In case of unrestricted access programmes visit the websites of the individual Schools for the specific procedures and deadlines to enroll and wether you need to sit for prior knowledge tests (test di verifica delle conoscenze in ingresso)
    • In case of restricted access courses follow the procedures and deadlines for enrolment as per individual admission calls.

Subsequent steps

In case of partial recognition of the academic qualifications you need to follow the procedures pertaining to your student status:

  • If you are a non-EU citizen residing abroad, you will have to follow this procedure ( Manifesto degli studi, sezione 4)
  • If you are an EU citizen, wherever residing, or a non-EU citizen living in Italy according to Law n. 189/2002 article 26, you can submit your enrolment application directly to the International Desk within 30 days from the date we will communicate the decision of the Committee. (Manifesto degli studi, sezione 3)

If you do not enrol by the designated deadlines your application will lapse and you will have to re-apply for recognition and your application will have to be re-examined by the committee.


social shareFacebook logo Twitter logo