Skip navigation links
Open menu
 ProgrammesPhD Programmespermit

Entry and residence permit

social share Facebook logo Twitter logo


European Union nationals

Those students enrolled in a PhD programme who are EU nationals do not need a residence permit for Italy. All they need to do is register (registrazione anagrafica) at the public records office (Anagrafe) of the Municipality (Comune) of residence.

Registration at the Public Records Office (Anagrafe)

It is mandatory for stays longer than three months. Documentation to present: identity document; certificate proving the availability of sufficient economic resources for the stay (it can be done through self-certification); certificate proving the purchase of a health insurance policy that covers health costs; certificate of enrolment in the PhD course.

The Municipality issues a certificate to the interested party proving the filing of the registration request.

Non-Euroepan Union nationals

Citizens from a country not belonging to the European Union must apply to the Embassy or the competent diplomatic authority of their home country for an entry visa to Italy for study reasons (type D for postgraduate study) valid for stays longer than three months.

To obtain an entry visa, is also required the pre-registration on Universitaly portal.

How to obtain an entry visa to Italy

After the publication of the admission rankings for doctoral programmes, the candidates who were granted of a position with or without a scholarship or admitted as a supernumerary, need to request an admission letter for the purpose of obtaining the entry visa, by sending their request to dottorato(AT)

Detailed information on the competent reference authority in your country and on the documentation to be submitted for the entry visa application is available on the website of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Ministero degli Affari Esteri e della Cooperazione Internazionale - MAECI).

How to obtain a residence permit for study purposes

Non-EU students admitted to doctoral programmes must apply for the residence permit, within 8 working days of their arrival in Italy by submitting the necessary documentation ("kit") to a Post Office, where you also pick up the kit to be filled in; more information and costs on the Poste Italiane website (in Italian). After the presentation of the kit, the date for the appointment will be communicated to the Foreigners Office of the Police Headquarters (Questura) for the issue of the residence permit for study purposes (to be renewed every year).

PER-Università Desk, to support students from a country outside the European Union in applying for or renewing their residence permit. Consult Unifi Include.

social share Facebook logo Twitter logo