Admission to the first year of EU students and levelled non-EU students
European Union students and non-EU students who are considered equivalent to European Union students must follow the procedure for admission to the first cycle (bachelor) degree (corsi di laurea triennali - L) and single cycle degree (laurea magistrale a ciclo unico LM c.u.) (consult Immatricolazione ai corsi di laurea triennale e magistrale a ciclo unico, in Italian) and second cycle (Master's) degree (corsi di laurea magistrali) (consult Immatricolazione ai corsi di laurea magistrale, in Italian) courses in order to enroll.
Cases of equivalence of non-EU students to European Union students
The following non-EU students are considered as equivalent to EU students:
- those who have an EU residence permit for long-term residents (formerly called carta di soggiorno);
- those who have a residence permit valid for employment or self-employment, family reasons, political asylum, political asylum, subsidiary protection, religious reasons, social protection, victims of domestic violence, calamity, particular labor exploitation, acts of special civil merit, special protection (art.32 para. 3 of Legislative Decree no. 25 of 28 January 2008);
- those who have a residence permit for study reasons that is still valid, enrolled in the previous academic years for a bachelor’s or a master's degree course at an Italian university;
- those who have a diploma issued by Italian state and private schools abroad or by international schools based in Italy or abroad (recognized as valid thanks to bilateral agreements or special regulations);
- the citizens of Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein
- the citizens of Switzerland
- the citizens of the Republic of San Marino
- employees in service in foreign diplomatic representations and in international organizations based in Italy, accredited to the Italian State or the Holy See, their spouses and dependent children.
In case of dual citizenship, one of which is Italian, the Italian one prevails.
Non-EU individuals who have applied for political asylum to obtain the status of political refugee can apply for admission, pending approval, at the University of Florence. If the individual acquires the status of political refugee, the registration remains active; otherwise their status as student will lapse.