In the first part the some elementary techniques for the reliability evaluation of components and systems are presented. Then, the statistical quality control is presented with the fundamental SPC techniques; the concepts regarding the measurement of conformity and the quality of a production process is also proposed. At the end, the basic concepts of accreditation and certification of products and systems is given, as well as the quality labels.
strongly suggested the course notes. In addition:
- part 1: M.Lazzaroni, L.Cristaldi, L.Peretto, P.Rinaldi, M.Catelani "Reliability Engineering – Basic Concepts and Applications in ICT", Springer 2011 – Caps. 1-2-3-4-5
- part 2 : Douglas C.Montgomery: "Controllo statistico della qualità", McGraw-HillItalia, 2000; books on basic concepts of Statistics
- part 3 : standard and UE Directives available in web
1. In the first part the general conceps of standardization, certification and accreditation are given. In addition, the definicions of Reliability according to the standard is given.
2. In the second part some details about Reliability of component and system is proposed
3. Then, the concepts of Quality, quality control and quality improvement are given. In this part the fundamentals of SPC is proposed, as well as the capability analysis.
4. The final part of the course concerns certification and certification approach. In addition, the CE mark and general details for the accreditation.
Preferred the knowledge of the basic concepts of statistics, with random variable and fundamental distributions.
Catelani Marcantonio, Lorenzo Ciani, Andrea Zanobini
Type of Assessment
Intermediate test on Reliability with easy exercises and open questions. At the end of the course the second test (oral or written) concerns the qaulity control and certification concepts. Both the tests have the some weight and the final evaluation is the mean.
The student must to be registred to the session as established by the registration system.
Introduction: general concepts of standardization, certification, accreditation and metrological aspects.
Reliability: conformity and reliability for component and system; functional reliability and canonic configurations (chain, redundant) ; statistical parameters of reliability: MTTF, MTBF. Applications
Quality control: product and process control, SPC instruments and control charts (Mean-Range); Capability analysis and indices (Cp, Cpk).
Certification of product and industry. CE mark and quality marks . ENEC mark and ISO 9000 family.