Insegnamento mutuato da: B025410 - METHODS AND TOOLS FOR OFFICIAL STATISTICS Corso di Laurea Magistrale in STATISTICA, SCIENZE ATTUARIALI E FINANZIARIE Curricula STATISTICA UFFICIALE
The course aims at presenting the characteristics of data collection from different sources and with different methodologies in order to fully understand the complexity of the whole production process (design, collection, processing and dissemination) and the major trade-offs deriving from alternative choices. It also underlines institutional aspects of official statistics and the needs deriving from the assurance its quality standards.
ESS, 2011, "European Statistics Code of Practice "
Statistics Canada, 2010, "Survey Methods
Citro, 2014, "From multiple modes to multiple sources"
Further readings will be specified during the course.
The student should be able to:
- describe methodological aspects of the European Statistical System
- be responsible for conducting a statistical survey
- evaluate possibilities for rationalizing and improvement and analysing process data for this purpose
- design coordinated statistical systems consisting of different data sources and aiming at giving a complete picture of different areas and satisfying the needs of different user groups
- present statistics and databases in a way that gives a good description of the geographical dispersion and quality of data in different circumstances
- evaluate integrity risks and design the data collection/survey and presentation in a way so that the informants are not unnecessarily burdened and adequately protected.
It is recommended the basic knowledge of descriptive and inferential statistics.
Teaching forms mainly consist of lectures, exercises and seminars.
Use of e-learning platform Moodle where, in particular, will be upload the teaching materials.
The course is in collaboration with ISTAT. Many lectures and seminars will be taught by ISTAT's researchers .
Type of Assessment
The final exam is designed to ensure the acquisition of knowledge and skills through a written testing (or an essay and his presentation) and an oral examination. The final score is composed by the results of both. The minimum score is 18/30.
Institutions and organization of statistical systems:
• European statistical system.
• Official statistics in Italy.
• International institutions.
• Quality standards
Methods of data collection and production in official statistics:
• Modern approaches in survey methodology.
• The questionnaire.
• Use of administrative sources.
• Integration of data from different sources and censuses.
• National accounts
• Big data.
Data processing in official statistics:
• Editing and estimation.
Dissemination and Communication
• Communication channels.
• Statistical disclosure control.
• Open data