Description of the major communication systems and advanced signal processing methods used in various telecommunications engineering sectors. Tools and platforms for the development and realization of communication and signal processing systems. Embedded platforms (Raspberry PI, Arduino).
E. Upton, G. Halfacree, Raspberry PI: La guida completa, Hoepli, 2013
V. Minute, Raspberry Pi: Guida all'uso, FAG, 2013
M Margolis, Arduino: Progetti e soluzioni, 2013, Tecniche Nuove
S. Majocchi, Arduino Uno: Programmazione avanzata e libreria di sistema Copertina flessibile, Vispa, 2012
The course focuses on the realization and practical aspects of communication systems and signal processing. The application fields of such systems are also addressed in other courses and include, for example, the analysis of multimedia signals (images, video, voice, audio), remote sensing signals, sensors and sensor networks , etc. The objective of the course is to make students able to design, implement or analyze a real device in the above application fields. To this end, several development platforms are considered, with particular emphasis on embedded ones (eg Raspberry PI and Arduino) and their programming tools.
Knowledge and understanding:
- knowledge of software and computer platforms, especially embedded, for the creation of simple devices of interest in the field of Telecommunications Engineering.
Ability to apply knowledge and understanding:
- know how to turn a design idea into a suitable set of specifications;
- determine the hardware and software resources to realize the project;
- find in the literature and / or in the Internet the algorithms and software tools necessary to implement the project;
- translate the design idea into a hardware and / or a software device as well as to verify its correct way of operation.
Knowledge of the main systems in the field of telecommunications engineering deriving from other courses in the degree program.
The course is delivered through seminars that describe, using practical examples from different fields of application of telecommunications engineering, some issues to be tackled in the real implementation of communication and signal processing systems.
Type of Assessment
The exam consists of the practical implementation of a hardware or software device and the production of related documentation material (report, slides, operating manual, etc.).
At the end of the exam, the student must demonstrate:
- know how to use hardware devices and software tools for a practical implementation of a testbed demonstrating a design idea;
- know how to validate the device and verify the project specifications;
- know how to document the realized instrumentation.
Description of the main embedded type platforms (for example, Raspberry PI and Arduino) and their programming tools. Description of their interfacing with Matlab / Simulink. Description of the sensors that can be used with such devices.
Seminars in various fields of telecommunications engineering applications, such as analysis of multimedia signals (images, video, voice, audio), remote sensing signals, sensor networks, etc.