Insegnamento mutuato da: B025410 - METHODS AND TOOLS FOR OFFICIAL STATISTICS Corso di Laurea Magistrale in STATISTICA, SCIENZE ATTUARIALI E FINANZIARIE Curricula STATISTICA UFFICIALE
The course aims at analyzing the various aspects of statistical surveys: design, collection, processing and dissemination. It focuses on the different methodological choices at the basis of data collection processes and on and the major trade-offs deriving from alternative options.
It also underlines institutional aspects of official statistics with specific care to the assurance of its quality standards and to the respect for privacy.
ESS, 2011, "European Statistics Code of Practice "
Statistics Canada, 2010, "Survey Methods
Citro, 2014, "From multiple modes to multiple sources"
Unece, 2009, "Making data meainingful" (part 1 to 4)
Further readings will be specified during the course.
The student should be able to:
- describe the main methodological aspects of the European Statistical System
- know the composition and functioning of the Italian statistical sistem
- be responsible for conducting a statistical survey
- evaluate between alternative design techniques of data collecting
- present statistics and databases in a way that gives a good description of the geographical dispersion and quality of data in different circumstances
- evaluate integrity risks and design the data collection/survey and presentation in a way so that the informants are not unnecessarily burdened and adequately protected.
It is recommended the basic knowledge of descriptive and inferential statistics.
Teaching forms mainly consist of lectures, exercises and seminars.
Use of e-learning platform Moodle where, in particular, will be upload the teaching materials.
The course is in collaboration with ISTAT. Many lectures and seminars will be taught by ISTAT's researchers .
Type of Assessment
The final exam is designed to ensure the acquisition of knowledge and skills through a written testing (or an essay and his presentation) and an oral examination. The final score is composed by the results of both. The minimum score is 18/30.
Institutions and organization of statistical systems:
• European statistical system.
•. Italian Statistical System (SISTAN) and Official statistics in Italy
• International institutions.
• Quality standards
Methods of data collection and production in official statistics:
• Modern approaches in survey methodology.
• The questionnaire.
• Use of administrative sources.
• Integration of data from different sources and censuses.
• National accounts
• Big data.
Data processing in official statistics:
• Editing and estimation.
Dissemination and Communication
• Communication channels.
• Alternative methodologies for data representation.
• Open data