Slides, codes, scientific papers that will be provided during the course.
1) To provide a general overview of the main study designs adopted in biostatistics and epidemiology
2) To encourage the critical discussion of the results
3) To introduce the student to novel/recent statistical approches in the fields of epidemiology and biostatistics
Students attending the course should have basic knowledge of the main methods for the analysis of epidemiological and bio-medical data and of the Bayesian approach. They should be able to write R codes.
- Revision and evaluation of the assigned homeworks
- Final discussion with the teacher about the topics of the course
- Observational and experimental studies
- Confounding and effect modification
- Statistical analysis of cohort and case-control studies: stratification and regression
- Survival analysis in the presence of competing events (Aalen-Johansen estimator, Fine and Gray model)
- Spline and Generalized Additive Models (GAM)
- Penalized regression methods (ridge regression, Lasso, Elastic Net)