Lessons are held in Italian and the teaching material is also in Italian.
- Introduction to Internet
- What is the information, how it is represented and transmitted
- Fundamentals of a Telecommunication Network and in particular of Internet.
- Fundamentals of TCP / IP protocols
- Concepts of Internet security and privacy
The whole teaching material is available on Moodle Platform.
As additional texts for further insights:
Fantacci, Reti di Telecomunicazioni, fondamenti e tecnologie Internet", Ed. 1, 2014, Esculapio
Kurose, Ross, "Reti di calcolatori e Internet: un approccio top-down", 6 ed., Pearson.
Forouzan, "Reti di calcolatori e Internet", Mc Graw Hill
Sciuto, Buinanno, Mari, "Introduzione ai sistemi informatici", V ed, Mc Graw Hill.
W. Stallings, "Crittografia e Sicurezza delle Reti", Mc Graw Hill
The main objective of this course is to provide students the basic knowledge about digital telecommunication networks with particular reference to Internet:
- Knowledge about the main features and operating principles of the Internet.
- Knowledge about the structures and techniques behind the Internet
- Knowledge about the general structure of a telecommunications network and its performance metrics
- Knowledge about the key technologies and applications that take advantage of the Internet to provide innovative services
At the end of the course, the student will be able to understand the basic functioning of a telecommunications network and especially of the Internet. The student will have the ability to assess the potential of the Internet network and possible application areas.
The course will consist of:
Frontal lectures conducted using slides provided by the teacher (available on Moodle Platform)
Final seminars on specific topics and application areas of the Internet.
The exam calendar is available on line:
- on Moodle
- at https://studenti.unifi.it/ListaAppelliOfferta.do
Slides and other material will be provided during the course by the teacher on Moodle platform.
Eventual communications on the course are published on Moodle Platform and sent to the partecipant list on Moodle.
It is suggested to register on Moodle Platform at the begin of the course. The password is provided during the lessons or must be requested to the teacher.
Type of Assessment
The final verification consists of a written test based on 20/25 multiple choice questions. Only one answer is correct. The exam is passed if the number of correct answers is at least 60% of the questions.
The questions are aimed at evaluating the acquired knowledge about:
- the Internet structure and its features
- basic techniques for the rapresentation and transmission of digital information
- features and organization of a Telecommunication networks
- TCP/IP protocol stack
- principles of Internet security
- Internet applications
Exam is only a qualifying examination and does not assign a final grade.
•Introduction to Internet
- History and evolution; Internet today
•What is the information and how to represent it
-The information coding/ source coding
•How the information is transmitted
-Fundamentals of information signal, signal bandwidth and frequency, transmission channel
•Fundamental Concepts of a Telecommunication Networks
-Topology, architecture, switching
-TLC network performance
•The network of the networks: Internet
-Hierarchical Internet structure
•Fundamentals of TCP / IP protocols
-TCP/IP protocol stack
-Basic layer functionalities
-What are IP, TCP, and UDP protocols
•Concepts of Internet security and privacy
•Examples of new services and applications based on Internet