Main topics: Herbicide tolerance; Plant molecular stress responses face climate change; Reduction of environmental pollution damage; The improvement of plant quality (food and industry interest); Plant molecular farming; Biofuels production; Genetic technologies for traceability in agri-food chains; Marker-assisted selection; Risk assessment of genetically modified plants: food safety and environmental safety
Biotecnologie e Genomica delle Piante-Rao & Leone- Casa editrice Idelson-Gnocchi
The teacher provides suggested readings and notes.
Understanding of genetic and genomic environmental analysis approaches.
Knowledge of the main analysis techniques and data processing for the monitoring problems of the genetic and genomic environmental.
Acquisition of techniques for conservation, enhancement, and protection and restoring environmental.
Ability to plan programs for monitoring and protection and restoring of genetic resources.
Knowledge in Plant Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics and Genomics
Total hours of the course: 150 (=6 x 25)
Hours reserved to private study and other formative activities: 102
Contact hours for: Lectures (hours): 32
Contact hours for: Laboratory-field/practice (hours): 16
Attendance to lectures and other activities, although not compulsory, is strongly recommended
Lectures and seminars in the classroom. Practices in laboratory
Type of Assessment
Oral examination with discussion of the written report prepared after the laboratory case study assigned at the practices.
• Plant Genetics and Genomics
• Abiotic Stress
Case studies in controlled systems. Reference Techniques for gene expression profiling analysis (microarray, Real Time PCR)
• Herbicide tolerance: Fight against weeds; Strategies for the development of herbicide-tolerant varieties; Tolerance to phosphinothricin-glufosinate ammonium; Glyphosate tolerance
• Molecular mechanisms to abiotic stress response: Global change and agricultural production; Mechanisms of resistance, tolerance and adaptation to abiotic stresses in plants; Abiotic stresses and changes in gene expression in plants; Stress signal perception and transduction in plants; Biotechnologies applied to the abiotic stress response improvement in plants
• Reduction of environmental pollution damage: pollution and environmental remediation; phytoremediation; Cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in phytoremediation; Expression of transgenes in planta for phytoremediation
• Improvement of plant quality (food and industrial interest): nutraceutical substances and functional foods; Genetic engineering and metabolic of primary and secondary metabolism
• Plant molecular farming: Expression systems for the recombinant protein production in plants; Gene expression technologies for molecular farming; Classes of molecules obtained in plant using molecular farming
• Production of biofuels: Importance and environmental impact of biofuels; First Generation Biofuels; Second generation biofuels; Biotechnology for biofuels production
• Genetic technologies for traceability in agri-food chains: genetic traceability in the agri-food sector; DNA analysis techniques in the agri-food chain; The identification of GMOs; Traceability and labeling of GMOs
• Selection assisted by molecular markers
• Risk assessment of genetically modified plants: food safety and environmental safety