Italian (The slides of the Course are in English). Specific help for those who don't speak Italian may be provided.
Key features of digital systems based on high speed integrated circuits will be discussed and design guidelines will be illustrated through examples and laboratory experiences. Main topics: System design criteria, printed circuit board design, design of A/D and D/A conversion systems for signal acquisition and generation. The course is integrated by several laboratory experiences.
The slides of the Course are provided by the teacher, together with data sheets and application notes of reference commercial devices.
1) Knowledge of main issues in the design of a digital system
2) Capability of evaluating, also by means of an experimental approach, the performance of a digital system
3) Capability of designing Analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog systems, based on the proper selection of devices most suitable to the application
Elementary electronic circuits (General and Applied Electronics)
Elementary circuit circuits, Boolean logics (Digital systems Electronics)
Class lectures and laboratory tests
Type of Assessment
The standard oral exam may be substituted by a written proof at the end of the Course. In booth cases, the aim is evaluating:
- by means of theoretical questions, the knowledge about main features and design criteria of a digital system;
- by means of exercises, the capability of designing, based on assigned specifications, parts of a digital systems.
Spectral features of digital signals.
Advanced electronic components used in A/D and D/A Conversion Systems for acquisition and synthesis of signals: low-noise amplifiers, comparators, CMOS switches, sample and hold, A/D (Sigma-Delta, flash, subranging and pipeline) and D/A converters. Sample design of A/D and D/A systems (Digital synthesizers). Experimental techniques to evaluate the static and dynamic performance of a conversion system. Effective number of bits.
General design criteria of digital systems. "Lay-out" probelems (current loops, block capacitors and inductors). Pronted-circuit-board design, power distribution.
Sample design of a digital system for biomedical applications, from specification definition to functional and experimental test.
Laboratory experiments: groups of 3-6 students will be in charge of designing and implementing one system for real-time signal acquisition and processing