Students will learn the importance of studying population dynamics. The course will focus on the main basic methods for demographic analysis and the sources used to study the past populations. The students are encouraged to participate in some seminars, and in the ensuing analysis and discussion.
Livi Bacci, Massimo, Storia minima della popolazione del mondo. Bologna: Il Mulino, 2016. (tranne capitolo 5)
Rossi, Fiorenzo, Le fonti della demografia storica in Italia e nel Veneto. Cleup, 2013.
Six scientific articles will be discussed during six seminars. Attending students will have to choose and prepare one of their choice. Non-attending will have to choose and prepare four of them. Articles will be uploaded in Moodle.
At the end of the course the student will have achieved the ability to process the basic demographic phenomena. The students will have an idea of the main demographic changes over time.
Lectures and seminars
Seminars: to be defined
Type of Assessment
• Demographic growth and basics of demography
• Demographic development: introduction to the methods of demographic analysis
• Demographic pressure: the first demographic transition and immigration
• Recent and future population dynamics
• Sources for the study of the population from the fifteenth century: from ecclesiastical sources to the birth of ISTAT
• Case studies: to be defined