Italy in the seventies: lights and shadows of a controversial decade. The course aims to develope an analysis of the italian history of the seventies (also in comparison to other European countries), when the significant modernisation of Italian society and culture coincided with the crisis of the leaden years, in the belief that it is this is precisely the face that the transition to post-modernity takes on in Italy.
G. Crainz, Il paese mancato. Dal miracolo economico agli anni '80, Donzelli, Roma 2003.
F. Balestracci, C. Papa (a cura di), L'Italia degli anni '70. Narrazioni e interpretazioni a confronto, Rubbettino, Soveria Mannelli 2019.
M. Galfré, La scuola è il nostro Vietnam. Il '68 e l'istruzione secondaria italiana, Viella, Roma 2019.
S. Neri Serneri (a cura di), Verso la lotta armata. La politica della violenza nella sinistra radicale degli anni Settanta, il Mulino, Bologna 2012
M. Galfré, La guerra è finita. L'Italia e l'uscita dal terrorismo 1980-1987, Laterza, Roma 2014
An Wider Bibliography will be communicated during the lessons.
KNOWLEDGE OBJECTIVES: Knowledge of the political, social and cultural situation of the seventies, with peculiar regard to left-wing political violence and to the armed struggle.
- knowledge of the most important historiography on the Italian Contemporary history in the seventies
- to encourage critical reflection on the origin of some key-aspects of our present
Knowledge of the Modern and Contemporary history
Frontal lessons, seminary activity with documents, film and documentaries
Mandatory inscription before the course begins and a mandatory frequence for almost 24 hours.
Type of Assessment
The exam consists in an oral discussion for the Erasmus, other exchange program and distance learning students too. The exam consists in two following tests: 1. oral relation during the course on theme chosen by the student together the teacher; 2. final oral examination on one volum chosen from generale bibliography that will be communicated during the lessons.
The final evaluation consists of all the assessments obtained in the two parts.
The exam aims to verify:
- the knowledge and the understanding of the main events, processes and problematic nodes of the Italian history in the seventies and its periodization
- the knowledge of the relative historiography and principal interpretative categories proposed to describe the Italian history in the seventies
The course intends to develope an analysis of the following topics:
- the different phases of the republican history
. the economic boom and developmental imbalances
- the '68 in Italy
- the first half of the 70s: the extra-parliamentary left, the social conflicts, la "strategia della tensione"
- the politic and economic context: oil shock and "compromesso storico"
- left-wing political violence and terrorism in the second half of the 70s
- Red Brigades and Prima linea
- The ending of terrorism