The bibliography will be
explained during the course.
Mandatory volumes (one of your choice)
1. G. Mosse, Il razzismo in Europa (Laterza, 2018)
2. G. Fredrickson, Breve storia del razzismo (Donzelli, 2002)
3. F. Bethencourt, Dalle crociate al XX secolo (il Mulino, 2017), only IV Part
Two readings (volumes or series of articles) chosen from a list distributed in the classroom and available on the moodle platform.
- to revise the basic knowledge of Contemporary history
-to learn t acquire basic knowledge of the history of racism and anti-Semitism in the contemporary age, with particular reference to the circulation of visual stereotypes
- to learn knowledge of the main methods in the study of Contemporary history
knowledge of the bibliographic tools in the study of Contemporary history
Particular attention to visual aspects and iconographic sources for the study of history
- to encourage the critical reflection on the origin of some key-aspects of Contemporary age
Basic knowledge of Contemporary history. It is recommended to use a contemporary history textbook at university level (ex. (es., T. Detti, G. Gozzini, Storia contemporanea, 2 voll., Pearson, 2017)
Frontal lessons, also by external experts, with the help of audiovisual material available on the e-learning platform of the course (Moodle); students' analysis on visual sources.
Mandatory inscription (at the beginning of the course) and mandatory frequence (for almost 24 hours). On Moodle available information and sources (slides etc).
Type of Assessment
The examination will have place in oral form. on the topics covered in class and in the texts of the program (also for non-attending students).
The test aims to verify:
- an understanding of the main processes of contemporary history and the history of racism and anti-Semitism of the contemporary age;
- an understanding of the main categories used to describe the aforementioned phenomena.
The syllabus with the topics covered in each lesson and the seminar program with external teachers will be distributed during the first lesson and available on the moodle platform.