For specific topics:
1) Biological Wastewater Treatment: Principles, Modelling and Design By M. Henze M. C. M. van Loosdrecht G.A. Ekama D. Brdjanovic IWA Publishing, 2008.
2) Activated Sludge Models ASM1, ASM2, ASM2d and ASM3 By M. Henze W. Gujer T. Mino M. van Loosdrecht IWA Publishing, 2006.
3) Anaerobic digestion model n. 1, IWA task group for mathematical modeling of anaerobic processes, IWA publishing, 2008.
Learning Objectives - Part B
To acquire knowledge on solid and liquid waste from the point of view of potential matter and energy recovery.
To understand the state-of-the-art of resources recovery processes and technologies. To acquire expertise on waste and wastewater management and processes operation with circular economy point of view
Prerequisites - Part B
Basic knowledge of physical chemical and biological processes of waste and wastewater
Teaching Methods - Part B
Type of Assessment - Part B
The final exam will consist in an oral discussion aimed at evaluating the knowledge and capabilities learned and the final score will depend on the quality of the oral exam.
It is always necessary to be registered for the exam of "Processes and technologies for resources recovery" in the online system to enable the electronic registration of the score.
The exam is aimed at verifying, through the oral tests:
- the knowledge on solid and liquid waste from the point of view of potential matter and energy recovery.
- the capabilities of understanding the state-of-the-art of resources recovery processes and technologies.
- the expertise acquired on waste and wastewater management and processes operation with a circular economy point of view.
Course program - Part B
Circular economy and waste as resource
Wastewater resource recovery facilities
Physical, chemical and biological characterisation of effluents
Anaerobic digestion and dark fermentation processes
Hydrogen and VFA production
Nutrients management and removal
Recovery of phosphorous, sulphur and nitrogen
Algae application in wastewater treatment
Matter recovery from excess sludge
Innovative wastewater treatment trains
Matter and energy recovery from solid waste
Management and recovery of glass and plastic
Recovery of (Waste of electric and electronic equipment)
Resource recovery through urban and landfill mining
Thermochemical processes for energy recovery from waste
Solid matrices anaerobic digestion processes
Reuse and recycle
Tertiary treatment processes
Membrane processes and membrane bioreactors
Water reuse case studies
Resource recovery and industry integration
Tannery industry as case study:
- leather production process;
- waste and wastewater characterisation;
- integrated management of tannery waste and wastewater;
- resource recovery (chromium, biogas, fertilizers, lipids, water, etc);
- the strategy in the Tuscan tannery district for resource recovery;
- examples of economic and environmental assessment of tannery districts.
Environmental impact assessment
Life cycle assessment: methods
Life cycle assessment: examples of LCA to matter and energy reovery case studies
Application of life cycle assessment: tutored elaboration of a case study LCA.