The GIS Laboratory accompanies the student in the geographical information system (GIS) learning process for the analysis and processing of georeferenced data. The Laboratory addresses the GIS theme in a practical way and allows the student to learn the use of modern GIS software. The lessons will take place in the computer classroom and teachers will guide each individual participant in learning GIS software
The lab does not support textbooks.
For those who want to prepare for learning in the use of the GIS software identified by the teacher (QuantumGIS well known as QGIS), it is advised that the donload of the user manual can be found free of charge at the following address:
As a laboratory activity the goals are practical. At the end of the course, the student must be able to use QGIS open source GIS software to process and display geo-referenced digital map data
Laboratory participation requires the knowledge of statistical data processing programs (eg Exel, Calc) and the ability to surf the Internet.
Frontal lessons in computer classroom. During the lessons the student can use the computers of the University already prepared for the necessary software. The teaching method is therefore typical of "learning by using" accompanied by technical explanations from the teacher. Each lecture will be followed by an exercise to be performed outside the classroom. The software used are all open source and therefore can be used by students even on their home computers at no additional cost.
Frequency is mandatory. Any absence must be previously justified and the student must retrieve it with additional work at home.
Type of Assessment
At the end of the lab, the student must demonstrate that he has learned the use of GISs by preparing a personal digital mapping job. The topic of the analysis must be agreed in advance with the teacher.
The final draft determines 80% of the vote. The remaining 20% of the vote is commensurate with the attention shown to the student in the class and the quality of the exercises carried out at home
Through the activities of the Economic Geography Laboratory, the teaching staff aims to bring students closer to the practical use of GIS instrumentation and to apply them to specific cases selected by the teacher.
A Geographic Information System (SIT), abbreviated in GIS, is a computerized information system that allows the acquisition, recording, analysis, display and return of information deriving from geographic data (geo-referenced). In this respect, GIS has become an important instrument for territorial analysis over the last few years, ie the study of the main economic, political and environmental phenomena on a territorial basis.
GISs allow you to relate to different data based on their common geographic reference to create new information from existing data, with particular reference to the mapping summary of elaborated information (thematic cards, mosaic cards, cards with Superimposed aerograms). Also for this reason they are now largely used in private public companies and the GIS Lab is no doubt a kind of learning that can make the student's CV more attractive in the search for a job.
Because of their versatility and ease of use and diffusion, the many GISs available for geographic research are becoming increasingly important for Open Source, that is, those GIS software whose authors (more precisely the rights holders) allow, indeed, The free study and the editing of changes by other independent programmers. This is achieved through the application of special licenses.
The student will learn the use of the GIS tool, both with frontal lectures in classrooms equipped for the use of the software, and then with application to specific case studies agreed with the teacher.