Sensory characteristics of grape: definition and measurement .
Sensory chacteristics of wine: definition and measurement .
Explanation of sensory analysis concept, principles and aims, focusing on winemaking process. Explanation of sonsory test methods and execution. Acquisition, elaboration and interpretation of results.
Ella Pagliarini, ed. Hoepli
Wine Tasting - A professional Handbook
R. S. Jackson ed. Elsevier
Knowledge acquired: Theory and Practise of Sensory analysisCompetence acquired:
Knowledge of the theoretical and practical tools that sensory analysis gives to interpret the relation between the variables of the product and of the process, and the sensory characteristics.
Skills acquired (at the end of the course):
Ability to choose and to apply a procedure to evaluate the impact of the operative choices along the process, on the sensory characteristics.
Courses recommended: Statistic
Total hours of the course : 150
Hours reserved to private study and other indivual formative activities: 90
Contact hours for: Lectures (hours): 30
Contact hours for: Laboratory (hours): 30
Type of Assessment
Oral and Written exame
Sensory analysis of grape: characteristics that have to be evaluated and method. Sensory analysis of wine:
- Characteristics that have to be evaluated: Aspect, Odor, Taste, Tact
- Visual Perception: Color and its origin, Clearness, Viscosity
- Olfactory perception: Odorous structures, Estrange odors and Defects.
- Taste and Tact: Factors that influence the perception of taste and tact
- Components responsible of the taste and tactile sensations.
- Valuation of visual, olfactory, gustatory and tactile sensations: Principles of the sensory analysis, Judges, The sensory laboratory, Tests, Analysis of data.
- The principal types of wine