1) Principles of Environmental Geochemistry, G. Nelson Eby, Yhompson Brooks/Cole, ISBN 0-122-29061-5.
2) Geochemical and Biogeochemical reaction modelling, 2008, Craig B. Bethke, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 978-0-521-87554-7.
3) Environmental Applications of Geochemical Modeling. Zhu C., Anderson G., 2002. Cambridge University Press.
4) Metodi matematici e statistici per le scienze della Terra., 2006, Vol. III, Tecniche statistiche, A. Buccianti, F. Vlacci, F. Rosso, Liguori editore.
Students acquire knowledge to manage geochemical data in a correct way, validate their correctness for an analytical point of view and to construct conceptual models able to describe the investigated phenomena in a critical way. Final aim is to evaluate and quantify the behaviour of chemical elements in different natural and anthropic frameworks.
Knowledge acquired in the courses of Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Geochemistry, Mineralogy and Petrography
Contact class with use of blackboard, video-projector for computer, overhead projector; possibility of practical lessons for data analysis in computer room. Use of the Moodle platform for e-learning for exchange of materials with students. Seminars and lessons on specific items by scientists and researchers are planned.
Use of software for the statistical analysis of data (Matlab, R).
6 CFU, frequency of lessons is highly recommended, but not mandatory.
Type of Assessment
Oral final exam. First part: discussion of a scientific paper given by the teacher. Second part: minimum 3 questions on the developed program.
- Environmental geochemistry and natural systems monitoring.
- Background/baseline concept. Conceptual models for geochemical systems. Variability, stationarity and resilience.
- Repository of geochemical data. Types of data, problems related to the management of the detection limit.
- Univariate and bivariate statistical methods. Probability models to describe the frequency distribution of geochemical data. Normal, log-normal and power laws probability models. Identification of threshold values as well as outliers.
- Geochemistry of the aqueous and gaseous phases. Thermodynamics of the solutions. Modeling of the chemical equilibrium in geochemical systems with different phases. Stability diagrams of minerals, activity, fugacity and solubility diagrams. Eh-pH diagrams, case study.
- Pollution of the water resources on different scale. Analysis of international reports, concept of ecological fingerprint.
- Analysis and discussion of several environmental themes oriented on a geochemical base on different scales.